4.26.2012

Vegetarian Bean Chili


A few weeks ago I made "Vegetarian Bean & Veggie Chili" and it was really good! We bought a BIG container of a bean blend at Costco...black beans, yellow eye steuben, pinto beans, split yellow peas, french navy beans, split green peas, red beans, and green lentils. I soaked the beans over night and then cooked them in the crock pot for a couple hours the next day. By the time dinner came around all I had to do was chop up onions and red/yellow peppers. Make the chili paste. Then add the beans, diced tomatoes, and tomatoes sauce. We ate it with toasted wheat bread and have been eating it all week for lunch with carrots and tortillas. We are eating very little meat and I really LOVE preparing and cooking with natural grains, beans, fruits, and veggies that has been made for our use!

*The recipe I used that was on the container of beans is different from this recipe on their website, but I'm sure it still is good. I didn't use chipotle chili powder, coriander, celery, vegetable stock or chicken stock, garlic, or cilantro. I would have used lots of garlic if mine didn't go bad. I was planning on using up our cilantro, but totally forgot. I was also going to put fresh green onions on top but forgot too. I didn't use that much oil. I also used cayenne pepper, dried oregano, and used the reserved liquid from the cooked beans. Next time I will put more veggies in. Hope you try it out!

1 comment:

  1. this looks good too, my kiddos are bean lovers!!! need to try!

    ReplyDelete