5.18.2018

Navajo Tacos



I grew up eating Navajo Tacos and they are my favorite! 

 I'm trying to master my dough which is proving to be hard, but I'm getting better. I want it to be just like my mom's and Shimassani's (maternal grandmother) bread!!!! Growing up I never helped make the dough, but I helped flap and fry it. Those are some of the best childhood memories I have!!

Navajo grandmas are pros and don't use any measuring tools and just ust their hands and eyes to measure. But, here is a general recipe with measurements! Also, for starters start by cutting the recipe in half. I learned better that way and if I messed up I didn't have as much that I messed up, lol! Also, I find that the warmer/hot, more on the hot side the water is, the better my dough comes out. Good luck!

Navajo Frybread

4 cups flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp. crisco or vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups warm/hot water


2-3 cups vegetable oil or Crisco for frying

Directions:

1. Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add oil and mix. Make a well in the middle.

2. Pour 1 cup of the water into the well and stir together with hands or spoon. Slowly add water little by little, as needed, to make dough come together until you can knead it until it's no longer too sticky, but soft. A little sticky is ok. 

*Warmer water a little on the hot side makes the dough softer.

*I don't always add all the water. It just depends on the dough. Add it slowly as needed.

3. Put it in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Let it sit for up to 30mins in a warmer area. The longer it sits the softer the dough will get and makes it much easier to flap and stretch.

4. While the dough is resting put the oil (which I always add by eye) into the pan and start heating it up. It just depends on the size of your pot. You need just enough oil to slightly cover the stretched out dough. Once it reaches its smoke point, you'll start to see smoke rising, it's ready and you may want to turn it down a little bit. To check if it's ready tear off a tiny peice of dough and put it into the hot oil and see how fast it cooks. This helps better determine if the oil is ready. You want the dough to cook pretty fast, until a nice golden brown. Use a fork to take out the cooked dough.

5. When the dough is ready tear off a tennis ball size or smaller piece of dough and form into a ball. 

6. You can use a rolling pin to flatten it out or use your hands to stretch it and flap it out like a true Navajo! Aye ;)

7. Carefully put it in the hot oil pan or cast iron skillet with a hole somewhere in the dough, I like to lay it down going away from me slowly in the oil. This keeps the oil from splashing on you. The oil is extremely hot and will severely burn you if you're not careful. I always wear an apron and try to wear long sleeves. Small amounts of oil will pop out of the pan, so be careful. This is why you don't want it too hot and to use something long like a fork or hook or good pair of tongs to flip it. Flip it when the edges start getting brown. It should cook pretty fast and will be a nice golden brown color.

8. Put the fry bread in big enough pan or bowl standing up with a paper towel at the bottom to soak the grease.





Now all you need are the toppings....


Chili beans, chopped iceberg lettuce, cheese, onions, salsa, and sour cream are great toppings!

*It's easier if you tear the bread up before putting the toppings on.


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment