8.16.2018

Chicken & Onions In White Sauce w/ Quinoa


This dinner was really quick and easy to make and most importantly the Fish Fam loved it!

My youngest loves loves quinoa, so I decided to do quinoa instead of noodles or rice. If you haven't had quinoa I highly recommend you try out this awesome superfood filled with lots of health benefits!

I'm always changing up recipes to adjust the dairy content (besides the butter) and this time I used a gluten free flour too....

White Sauce Ingredients: 

4 tbsp. butter (can sub with Ghee for dairy & casin free)
4 tbsp. flour (can sub. w/ gluten-free flour)
2 1/2 cup milk (we like our rice/coconut milk mix) warm
Salt & Pepper to taste

  1. Directions:
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan
  • Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles (don't let it brown)
  • Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens
  • Bring it to a boil
  • Add salt and pepper to taste
  • Lower the heat, and cook, stirring for a few more minutes
  • Remove from the heat

*I didn't know how the gluten free flour would change the recipe, but it came out really good and all I heard from my husband and the kids of how good it was.

*If the sauce isn't think enough, in a separate pan heat up a tablespoon of butter and then add a tablespoon of flour and stir. Add the mix into the sauce and keep stirring. 


While the sauce was cooking I stir-fried some red onions and garlic in grapeseed oil and then added some diced chicken and cooked thoroughly. Let it sauté and brown to bring out more flavor, just make sure there is enough oil in the pan so it doesn't burn. 

I steamed some broccoli and cut up some bell peppers and cucumber and whala dinner was done!



No comments:

Post a Comment